Today I’m happy to share a special holiday guest post written by WFLU Senior TA Deborah. Deborah lives in New England where she enjoys spending time with her family and friends, writing, reading, learning, appreciating nature, and trying to be domestic. She’s been married for 13 years and has 3 wonderful children who make sure she lives life with sweetness, humor, chaos, and joy.
I absolutely love November, and it’s not just because of how beautiful everything looks or all the yummy foods (although they are some of my favorites!) What I really love about November is the opportunity to pause and consider just how truly blessed I am. Inevitably pondering all that I have to be thankful for leads me to want to do something to help bless others. In that spirit of gratitude and giving I thought it would be fun to take a moment and consider some special date night ideas that couples can do together to give back.
- Volunteering together at a soup kitchen.
- Picking up rubbish along a local roadway, waterfront, or park. You might even find a few cans you can turn in for coins to buy a treat when you’re done.
- Training for or participating in a charity race.
- Looking for a Habitat for Humanity building project that you can help with.
- Volunteering with the Salvation Army to ring the bells together for an evening.
- Playing a few rounds of Free Rice together. You can have fun testing your brain power together while doing some good.
- Making a batch of cookies and cocoa together and taking it to someone who needs a pick-me-up. (I’m sure they won’t mind if you happen to have taste-tested one or two first.)
- Setting a budget and going on a shopping trip to pick out items for someone in need or to help supply your local food shelf.
- Picking up a bunch of scarves and hats from a thrift store and tying them to posts around the town for people to use in the cold weather.
- Making a tie blanket together and giving it to someone with a newborn baby or donating it at the local children’s hospital.
- Researching some charities and making a plan together for how you want to help.
- Getting a bunch of quarters and leaving them in places to surprise people by paying it forward like the laundry mat or gumball machine.
- Going through your closets and see what you have that you could donate to others.
- Making your own special service project together. Come up with a need and make a plan for how you can work together to help make some Thanksgiving magic happen!
The possibilities are really endless. I’d love to hear what ideas you have! I can tell you that working together as a couple to help someone else is sure to bring joy to your heart, your relationship, and to others and make the season a little brighter for everyone.